Since very few have time or capacity to review articles that have been edited, especially by anonymous users, it is wise to choose to display the last approved version of articles, because I noticed that there are many articles that were vandalized and left for too long!
Last approved version is implemented in other Wikimedia projects that have a similar issue like the Egyptian Arabic Wikipedia.
Anonymous or mostly-inactive users are very unlikely to contribute significantly positively, so it's better to have more possibly less complete articles that more possibly vandalized ones. Thanks. --Mahmudmasri (مناقشه) 22:13، 9 يناير 2018 (يو تى سى)
Let's follow the discussion there, on Meta. --Mahmudmasri (مناقشه) 19:10، 22 مارس 2018 (يو تى سى)
Editing News #1—2018[تعديل]
Read this in another language • Subscription list for this multilingual newsletter
Did you know?
Did you know that you can now use the visual diff tool on any page?
Sometimes, it is hard to see important changes in a wikitext diff. This screenshot of a wikitext diff (click to enlarge) shows that the paragraphs have been rearranged, but it does not highlight the removal of a word or the addition of a new sentence.
If you enable the Beta Feature for "فروقات مرئية", you will have a new option. It will give you a new box at the top of every diff page. This box will let you choose either diff system on any edit.
Click the toggle button to switch between visual and wikitext diffs.
In the visual diff, additions, removals, new links, and formatting changes will be highlighted. Other changes, such as changing the size of an image, are described in notes on the side.
This screenshot shows the same edit as the wikitext diff. The visual diff highlights the removal of one word and the addition of a new sentence.
You can read and help translate the user guide, which has more information about how to use the visual editor.
Since the last newsletter, the Editing Team has spent most of their time supporting the 2017 wikitext editor mode, which is available inside the visual editor as a Beta Feature, and improving the visual diff tool. Their work board is available in Phabricator. You can find links to the work finished each week at mw:VisualEditor/Weekly triage meetings. Their current priorities are fixing bugs, supporting the 2017 wikitext editor, and improving the visual diff tool.
- The 2017 wikitext editor is available as a Beta Feature on desktop devices. It has the same toolbar as the visual editor and can use the citoid service and other modern tools. The team have been comparing the performance of different editing environments. They have studied how long it takes to open the page and start typing. The study uses data for more than one million edits during December and January. Some changes have been made to improve the speed of the 2017 wikitext editor and the visual editor. Recently, the 2017 wikitext editor opened fastest for most edits, and the 2010 WikiEditor was fastest for some edits. More information will be posted at mw:Contributors/Projects/Editing performance.
- The visual diff tool was developed for the visual editor. It is now available to all users of the visual editor and the 2017 wikitext editor. When you review your changes, you can toggle between wikitext and visual diffs. You can also enable the new Beta Feature for "Visual diffs". The Beta Feature lets you use the visual diff tool to view other people's edits on page histories and Special:RecentChanges. 
- Wikitext syntax highlighting is available as a Beta Feature for both the 2017 wikitext editor and the 2010 wikitext editor. 
- The citoid service automatically translates URLs, DOIs, ISBNs, and PubMed id numbers into wikitext citation templates. It is very popular and useful to editors, although it can be a bit tricky to set up. Your wiki can have this service. Please read the instructions. You can ask the team to help you enable citoid at your wiki.
Let's work together[تعديل]
20:56، 2 مارس 2018 (يو تى سى)
Galicia 15 - 15 Challenge[تعديل]
Wikipedia:Galicia 15 - 15 Challenge is a public writing competition which will improve improve and translate this list of 15 really important articles into as many languages as possible. Everybody can help in any language to collaborate on writing and/or translating articles related to Galicia. To participate you just need to sign up here. Thank you very much.--Breogan2008 (مناقشه) 13:38، 12 مارس 2018 (يو تى سى)
Time to bring embedded maps (‘mapframe’) to most Wikipedias[تعديل]
Time to bring embedded maps (‘mapframe’) to most Wikipedias
رجاء ساعد في الترجمة للغتك
Mapframe is a feature that enables users to easily display interactive maps right on wiki pages. Currently, most Wikipedias don’t have mapframe. But fifteen Wikipedias, along with all the other Wikimedia projects, are using mapframe today to display maps on thousands of pages.
A little background: over the last few months, the Foundation’s Collaboration team has been working to improve the stability and user experience of the maps service. In addition, a question about long-term support for the maps service was recently settled, and a small team has been assigned for routine maintenance. Given these developments, bringing the benefits of mapframe to Wikipedias that lack the feature seems both safe and supportable. Nine Wikipedias that use a stricter version of Flagged Revisions will not get mapframe in this release.
Maps are a valuable form of visual data that can improve readers’ understanding across a wide range of topics. If you know of any reasons why mapframe shouldn’t be implemented on your Wikipedia, let us know on the project talk page. Unless we hear from you, we plan to release mapframe to most Wikipedias in May, 2018. So, if you foresee an issue, please let us hear from you. Otherwise, happy mapping!
) 21:38، 24 ابريل 2018 (يو تى سى)
Birgit Müller (WMDE)
From May 8, AdvancedSearch
will be available as a beta feature
in your wiki. The feature enhances the search page
through an advanced parameters form and aims to make existing search options
more visible and accessible for everyone. AdvancedSearch is a project by WMDE Technical Wishes
. Everyone is invited to test the feature and we hope that it will serve you well in your work!
14:44، 7 مايو 2018 (يو تى سى)
Change in OAuth behavior in your language[تعديل]
the behavior of the OAuth extension in the ar, arz, ko, lrc, ur languages will change next week. OAuth is an extension used by external tools to get permission from editors to act in their name. Currently the page Special:OAuth will redirect to the translated version of the special page name; starting next week, when used by an external tool (that is, when the request has an Authorization: header), that won't happen anymore.
This makes the behavior of the extension more consistent and intuitive, but might break current tools (which need to update the URL they use). If your language community has Wikimedia tool developers, please notify them.
See phab:T196102 for more information. Thanks! --Tgr (WMF) (talk 12:51، 3 يونيه 2018 (يو تى سى)
Update on page issues on mobile web[تعديل]
Update on page issues on mobile web
رجاء ساعد في الترجمة للغتك
Hi everyone. The Readers web team has recently begun working on exposing issue templates on the mobile website. Currently, details about issues with page content are generally hidden on the mobile website. This leaves readers unaware of the reliability of the pages they are reading. The goal of this project is to improve awareness of particular issues within an article on the mobile web. We will do this by changing the visual styling of page issues.
So far, we have drafted a proposal on the design and implementation of the project. We were also able to run user testing on the proposed designs. The tests so far have positive results. Here is a quick summary of what we learned:
- The new treatment increases awareness of page issues among participants. This is true particularly when they are in a more evaluative/critical mode.
- Page issues make sense to readers and they understand how they work
- Readers care about page issues and consider them important
- Readers had overwhelmingly positive sentiments towards Wikipedia associated with learning about page issues
Our next step would be to start implementing these changes. We wanted to reach out to you for any concerns, thoughts, and suggestions you might have before beginning development. Please visit the project page where we have more information and mockups of how this may look. Please leave feedback on the talk page.
) 20:58، 12 يونيه 2018 (يو تى سى)